Start your day off with a farmers casserole for breakfast. It’s a delicious use of eggs, cheese, hash browns, and more.
So you read the words “Farmer’s Casserole” and you have no idea what it actually is. To make it simple and easy for you, it’s a breakfast casserole using “farm friendly” ingredients. Things like eggs, sausage, hash browns, cheese, and other ingredients.
Start the day off for your family and friends with this hearty breakfast casserole. It doesn’t take long to make and you can store it in the fridge for a snack later or a quick breakfast to heat up the next morning or two.
It’s such a filling and healthy meal, that some of our readers have even said that they make this as a dinner option. We personally have only made it for breakfast, but we can totally understand why they feel it be a good dinner meal option as well.
We hope that you enjoy the recipe and share with us what you think of it after you make it!
- 6 cups frozen, shredded hash brown potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Jalapeno Monterey Jack Cheese (can sub cheddar or Swiss)
- 2 cups diced, cooked ham (or Canadian bacon)
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 8 large eggs, beaten (or 2 cups egg substitute)
- Two 12-ounce cans evaporated milk (can use whole, 2% or fat free)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
Grease a 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Arrange potatoes evenly in the bottom of the dish. Sprinkle with cheese, ham, and green onion. In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Pour egg mixture over potato mixture in dish.
At this point, you can cover and refrigerate until ready to bake (several hours or overnight). When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350°F. Bake, uncovered, for 45 to 55 minutes or until center appears set. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. If baking after casserole has been chilled, you will need to increase baking time to 55 to 60 minutes.
- Add Tabasco for a bit of a kick.
- Serve with a good dollop of sour cream.
Recipe courtesy of: RecipeGirl