Enjoy this Instant Pot dirty rice meal with your family. A delicious one pot dinner option that has awesome Cajun flavors combined with the rice and beef!
This recipe for Instant Pot dirty rice is a fantastic and quick one pot meal. Your family is going to love the flavors and how quick you’re able to cook this and get it on the dinner table.
I just love the Instant Pot because it lets me cook great dinners quicker than if I cooked it on a normal stove top. The pressure cooker really presses and combines all the flavors together and cuts the cooking time down considerably.
That’s no different when it comes to this Instant Pot dirty rice recipe. The prep time is 15 minutes and cook time is only 6 minutes. Now with any Instant Pot recipe, you have to factor in the time it takes to reach pressure, and this one is 20 minutes. So if you take all that together, your Instant Pot dirty rice meal is going to take 40 minutes total.
The beef is going to add such a great texture and the Cajun seasoning brings all the flavors together. The benefit of cooking rice in a pressure cooker is that it won’t come out sticky or gummy. Also, if you don’t want to use ground beef – substitute with ground chicken, ground pork, or sausage.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup celery (2 stalks), chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup green pepper, (1/2 pepper), chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Cajun spice
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 cup white long grain rice
- 1 cup beef broth
- parsley and green onion to garnish
- Turn on the saute setting on your Instant Pot and let it heat up for 2 minutes. Add in the ground beef and stir it up, breaking it into smaller pieces.
- Now you can add in the celery, onion, and green pepper. Stir the ingredients together to combine them, and cook for another 3 minutes. You can now turn your Instant Pot off.
- If you want to drain the grease, you can do it now. It’s not needed though.
- If your Instant Pot needs to be deglazed you can do it now. It’s not usually necessary, but check just to make sure. If there are bits of vegetables and browned meat stuck to the bottom – you need to deglaze it. To deglaze, add in 1/4 cup of water or broth and stir it to release any of the browned bits on the bottom of the pot.
- Add in the Cajun spice, thyme, oregano, and salt. Add in the rice and beef broth after – stir it together and mix it well.
- Put the lid onto the Instant Pot. Make sure the valve is shut. Set the Instant Pot to manual, high pressure, for 6 minutes.
- It’ll take around 10 minutes for the Instant Pot to reach pressure. Once it’s done cooking, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes.
- Garnish the finished product with parsley and green onions.
If you’d like, you can substitute white jasmine rice or white basmati rice. If you want to use brown rice, just keep in mind that the longer cooking time required, it would probably affect the texture of the beef. So you’d be better off sticking with white rice.
If you want to choose a different meat instead of the ground beef, you can choose – ground chicken, ground pork, or sausage. You won’t need to alter the recipe at all.
Original recipe: upstateramblings.com